Wednesday, July 1, 2009

July 1st!

Today was so great! We decided to paint some drawings of various things on the walls of our school (shapes, maps, animals, etc.) and we started today! I am so excited! They look soooooo good! The teachers also requested for us to put the names of the subjects on the walls… mathematics, bible study, Chichewa, English, etc. We hired two men from town who are professional painters and are doing such a great job!! I can’t wait to show pictures. (Anyone who gave me money… I want you to know you are helping with this project as well!) DeAnna and Carolynn (fellow trip goers) decided they wanted to get 300 blankets/ponchos made for the children as well. (Money will be going for this project as well). In Malawi it is their “winter” months, and it is pretty chilly. Today was about 60 degrees and the nights get down in the 40’s. The children are so cold at school, so I can only imagine what night time is like for them.

Today was my second day I tought at Malemia Primary School. Mr. Chitenje, my teacher has asked me to teach science and technology. The government issued books (paperback 100 page books) so I am teaching from it. I am teaching a unit of food and nutrition. I think the children are enjoying it. I teach in standard 5 (grade 5). Mr. Chitenje has been teaching over 50 years and is a very wise and respected man. The kids love him! He gets them so excited about learning and he is over 70 years old! I hope I’m as great as a teacher someday as he is…

While I am here I am working on my Capstone project for the honor’s academy of RU. I decided to do it on Special Education. Today I interviewed the first special education teacher to come to this area. He just came 3 days ago… talk about Devine intervention! We talked for TWO HOURS and are planning to talk again on Friday. He is so smart and such a great person. I am so impressed with his education. Unfortunately the people of Malawi are not as educated as him when it comes to special education (but I guess the same is true for the US).

We saw about 20 monkeys yesterday!! They were so brave they would even take food right out of our hands… but we were advised not to do that in case they bite. Some of them have babies and they are so cute. They live right here at Annie’s Lodge so now that they see we won’t hurt them I bet they will come around a lot more often.

Thanks for reading this! We’ve had very very limited email/ internet access but I love to receive emails!
Love, Beth

3 comments:

  1. I am so proud of you!!! Of course you'll be as great as Mr. Chitenje...you are already learning from some wonderful people both in Malawi and in the US :) The painting sounds so great...the people there will remember you all every time they look at the walls. It is great that there is a special education educator there for you to work with!! You will get so much information and so many ideas from working together. Please please don't get bitten by a monkey...it could be really dangerous. I'm sure they are very cute!!! I love you soo much and I miss you more than you can imagine!
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beth,

    How wonderful experiences you have in Malawi!

    You and others were featured on RU Today and your blog was linked there.

    I bet you will learn a lot about education for young children and it will prepare you an awesome teacher. Would you please share the great experience with me and other cohort members after coming back to RU?

    Take care and be safe :-)

    Dr. Guess Who (hahaha...)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahaha Dr. Guess who-- I'll be happy to :)
    Glad you're checking on me! You will be happy to read my capstone project, I think it's very interesting and I bet you will too!!

    Mom- I'm not going to get bitten by a monkey lol!

    ReplyDelete