Tuesday, July 7, 2009

A few favorites from the past few days...

We haven’t been able to use the internet now for several days so sorry I haven’t updated my blog! Everything in Malawi is going well, yesterday was their Independence Day so there was no school. There were no celebrations in Zomba either which was weird after thinking about our celebration in the states!

I thought for this blog I would give you some of my favorite moments of the last few days…

*The day Mr. Chitenje did not come to school (he had to go retrieve his paycheck because it was a month late!!!! Crazy, huh?!) so I was left with 80 kids who barely speak English. The day turned out to be a lot of fun because we played a lot of games… duck duck goose, relay races, simon says, and sang a lot of songs too. They love “Head, shoulders, knees and toes!” You can see my class spread out throughout the school yard singing it.

*The day we painted the school’s blackboards. The teachers were so thankful and we had a lot of fun doing it! The same day, David and Chimwemwe finished the paintings on the walls of the school. They look so good and I think we have made a permanent difference!

*We stopped at a local market on the way home and a drunk old man tried to get on our bus. One of my fellow trip goers, James is a big african american man. He stood up with his walking stick he purchased at Mount Mulanje, and told the man to get off. The man jumped so fast and so far off the bus that he ran into a group of children! We all laughed for about 5 minutes because of this! :)

*The hike to Mount Mulanje. We did about an hour long hike to a huge waterfall. It was beautiful and peaceful. It reminded me a lot of Radford and hiking there. The views were AMAZING!

* On the way back fom Mount Mulanje we stopped to take pictres of some boys with "rats on a stick". The boys catch rats, cook them, and hold them on a long stick for people to buy. Just wait till you see the pictures!!

*The night Peter, Annie’s son threw us a party… he brought in a DJ and lights and we danced all night. It was so much fun!

*The night Todd was too scared to sleep in his room because there was a lizard in there they couldn’t get out, so he knocked on the window to wake Kelsey up and sleep on her floor and he broke the window. Oops!!

*Today Annie invited us to her house for lunch. It turned into dinner because Malawian time is always about 2 hours later. I played hide and go seek with Peter’s sons and fell in love with his 4 year old, Christian. :)

Also, here are some of my fellow trip goers blog sites… You might like to read their experiences as well!
My advisor, Ann
www.annmaryroberts.wordpress.com
My roommate, Kelsey
www.kkelsa.blogspot.com
Tech’s Advisor, Pat
www.malawistudyabroad.com
A tech student, Todd
www.toddmalawi.blogspot.com
A Radford student, Carolyn
www.utkelizabeth.blogspot.com
A tech student, DeAnna
www.hacklerhash.blogspot.com


I can’t believe there are only 11 days left... the trip is flying by but has been so wonderful. On Wednesday we are going on our overnight safari and everyone is very excited! I’m also sad because we only have 4 days left in the schools, and that has been my favorite part of the trip!

I’ll try to update again soon! I love and miss you all!
Beth

1 comment:

  1. I am so glad all is going well! I can't wait to see pictures and hear the stories! Love and miss you! Lory

    ReplyDelete